How to add new data in bulk?
Click on the following links to go to the related sections within this article:
- Step 1. Import type
- Step 2. Download template
- Step 3. Upload File
- Step 4. Link fields
- Check required fields
- Step 5. Manage duplicates
- Finish Import
- Download and Error Handling
The Import & Export menu allows you to add data in bulk into ForceManager, making easier the creation of new Accounts, Contacts, Opportunities, etc.
To import, you must first access the ForceManager Admin app (If you do not have this functionality, contact your Customer Success Manager). Once you are inside the Admin app, go to the Import & Export module. In this module, you will see different tabs to import new data.
Select the tab of your interest and click on the Import button located in the upper right part of the screen:
Next, ForceManager Admin will guide your import through 5 steps.
Step 1. Import type
To add new data to ForceManager, you must select Create <Entity>.
This window will show you what will be imported depending on the Entity you have selected in the previous step (e.g., "Create Opportunities," "Create Contacts," etc.)
Step 2. Download template
This step is optional. If you already have the file prepared, you can go directly to Step 3. However, we recommend using the template to correctly match the fields in Step 4.
To prepare the file before importing, you must download one of the two templates that the menu offers at the bottom of the screen:
Download empty template: A window will open with the standard required fields previously selected. In this window, you can choose the rest of the fields you want to use in your import. These fields will guide you to complete the template with your data:
Then, click on the Export Excel button. The system will automatically download the file to your downloads folder with the headers of the fields you have selected.
Download template with data: We recommend using this template as the downloaded records will guide you when entering the new data.
Once you have selected this template, a window will open where you can define the data you want to import by following the steps described below:
1. Fields selection. In addition to the standard required fields that the system selected by default, you can include other fields in the import, either standard or extra.
2. Filter the data. You can precisely define the data you want to include in the template by using filters. Add as many filters as necessary.
Once you finish defining the data to import, click on the Export Excel button. If the data volume is large, the system will send you a notification via email to download the file. Otherwise, the file will be automatically downloaded to your download folder.
In both cases, it is important to consider:
- Have all the extra fields previously created in ForceManager to assign them to the Excel fields.
- Do not modify the Excel headers.
- The Entity's data must be in the first tab of Excel (as you can see in the downloaded file).
- Validate the required fields with the second tab of the Excel file
Step 3. Upload File
Once the file is ready, click on the continue button and select the file to attach the template with the data entered.
Step 4. Link fields
In this step, you must link the Excel file fields you just uploaded with the ForceManager fields.
From this window, you can see the status of the linked fields in the third column:
The possible status are:
Matched values: the values were linked successfully.
Field won't be Imported: the Excel field is not matched with any ForceManager field, so the system will not import it.
Some values are missing: status available only for fields of type "list of values" or "multi-list of values". Some values in the list do not match those currently created, so you must review them.
As a result, the following cases may occur:
- If the values are correct, you don't have to do anything.
- If the values are incorrect, click Edit to select the corresponding value. In this section, you can activate the option Hide matched values to find the unmatched ones.
Check required fields
In the upper right corner of the window, you will find the checkboxes to review the required fields. As you can see, the "required standard fields" box is marked by default since the review of these fields is essential to avoid inconsistencies in the data.
On the other hand, you can choose to verify the "required custom fields" by marking the corresponding checkbox. This process reviews that all (custom) fields defined as required are correctly matched.
According to the marked checkbox, if the system detects that a field marked as mandatory is not associated, the following error is displayed:
When you finish matching the values, the status will change to "matched values," and you can continue to Step 5.
Step 5. Manage duplicates
In this step, you can choose to check for possible duplicate values. We recommend reviewing them as this will prevent your records from being duplicated.
- If you choose Not to check them, the system will move to the next step, and it will upload all the Excel data to ForceManager without validation.
- If you choose to check them, you will be able to select the fields you want to perform the review.
If a duplicate is detected, you can take one of the following actions:
- Do not update anything to records that already exist. These existing records will remain as they are currently in ForceManager.
- Update only empty fields to records that already exist. To these existing records, only the ForceManager fields you have included in Excel will be updated if they are currently empty in ForceManager (fields already populated in ForceManager will not be updated).
- Update only the completed fields to the records that already exist. To these existing records, only the ForceManager fields you have included in Excel will be updated if they are currently populated in ForceManager (empty fields in ForceManager will not be updated).
- Update all to records that already exist. Any ForceManager fields in Excel will be updated to these existing records.
Once you complete the Manage duplicates step, click on "Finish process."
To finish the import, you must confirm that you are sure to create the records for the selected Entity.
- Check the number of entities to create and write the word "CREATE."
- Confirm the creation by clicking the Yes, create button.
Once the records are created in ForceManager, you will receive an email notification.
In addition, from the Import & Export menu, you can always:
- Review the import history.
- Download the file.
- Check the import date and check the import result.
Download and Error Handling
If there are errors in the import, the system will send you a notification via email.
To check the cause of the errors, go to the Import & Export menu inside the Admin app, position the pointer on the file and click on "Download errors."
To precisely see the cause of the errors and where they are located, click on them:
To fix them, download an error file by clicking on Download errors in the top alert of the pop-up window.
When opening the file, you can see the cells to be corrected highlighted in red, as shown in the following GIF:
After finishing the necessary corrections, you can re-import the file.